Has ownership and accountability for all major project procurement on all assigned projects, with estimated 3rd party spend of $2-3 billion direct dollars in capital spend and an additional oversight of $2bn of indirect spend, for a total of $5bn of Spend managed. Develops key supply chain processes, strategy, and resources for services, equipment and materials in support of refining major projects. Optimize spend, leverage the supply base, minimize risk and ensure compliance to regulatory standards to meet the needs of our Refining major projects. Direct line accountability for 15-20 individuals across multiple regions and locations, with additional oversight and mentorship for all Major Project Procurement staff totaling around 30+ staff, across the Refining enterprise.
- Key stakeholders include Refining Reliability & Engineering Director, head of Major Project Refining, head of Construction Refining and Refinery VPs and Plant Mangers.
- Leads a team of Supply Chain Project Procurement Managers to support Marathon’s Refining major projects to manage spend, reduce risk and create a competitive advantage by optimizing total cost of ownership.
- Accountable for leading efforts with Engineering, Procurement & Construction companies, delivering commercial rigor, competitive cost structure and managing commercial and contractual aspects of Major Projects.
- Provide guidance to customer on major decisions, strategy development and critical activities during Refining major projects and capital spend.
- Ensure constant communication and collaboration with major projects group. Establishes annual goals and objectives, (including stretch targets) in coordination with corporate objectives, overall Supply Chain goals and manages performance to ensure attainment. Ensures that all programs implemented adhere to legal, compliance, and audit requirements.
- Strategically develops and implements category/supply chain strategies covering all categories of spend, services and supplier processes throughout the enterprise to deliver maximum value, leverage, and standardization. Develops an overall vendor base which creates and sustains a competitive advantage, utilizing global market exploitation, leveraging spend, and leveraging of technologies.
- Enables the organization with consistent, standardized lean processes and procedures for all key processes within the Refining major Projects organization, including strategic sourcing, supplier relationship management, contracting, contract management, supply risk management, and procure-to-pay. Establishes and executes on annual business improvement goals and stretch goals that enable the organization to take costs out of SCM capital spend.
- Establishes and maintains measurable performance metrics for all levels of procurement activities to include (but not limited to) spend under management, compliance to category strategies, internal order placement performance, buyer activity levels, financial (AP) performance, and material shortage elimination. Drives data integrity with our systems through data standardization and consistency
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Supply Chain Management, Project Management or relevant field required.
- Masters or MBA preferred
- Lean Six Sigma certification preferred.
- Minimum 20 years’ progressive experience in Project Procurement, Supply Chain, Major Projects, Operations, or similar experience required.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in supply chain management supporting multiyear and multimillion dollar major projects in the energy, construction or similar industry.
- 10+ Experience sourcing equipment & materials in support of major projects, including overseas souring and expediting.
- 8+ years of experience managing EPC contractors and leading geographically, remotely located teams.
- Must be a strategic thinker with confidence and speed in execution.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and influencing skills are required
- Demonstrated ability to drive change with a focus on continuous improvement
- Supportive and hands-on inspirational leader, who is able to act independently
- A strong collaborator across the business stakeholders and across the SCM Leadership team
- Makes decisions with good judgment, taking responsibility for and being focused on delivery of results. Has courage and drive to make changes happen.
- Can deal with ambiguity, showing strong self-confidence and determination.
- Stimulates new thinking in a positive and non-threatening fashion. Takes a broad business perspective and is willing to speak up.
- Applies strong personal integrity and has a high service orientation.
- Willingness to travel as required within North America
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: MPC) is a large-scale geographically-diversified and highly -integrated refining, marketing and midstream company. MPC is the nation’s largest refiner, with a crude oil refining capacity of more than 3 million barrels per calendar day in its 16-refinery system. MPC’s high-quality, nationwide retail and marketing business includes approximately 3,900 company-owned and -operated stores and 7,800 branded locations. MPC owns the general partners of MPLX LP and Andeavor Logistics LP, two strong, customer-focused midstream master limited partnerships.
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant,
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at email@example.com. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in